A few weeks ago - and in a weak moment - I volunteered to coach Andrew's baseball team this year (MYBA Senior 13-14 league). I have always been a dad who has helped out with other coaches over the years. I also often bit my tongue holding back saying anything, despite participating in some very unorganized baseball practices. But my thought process was always that these people volunteered to be head coach and I didn't - so I had no right to be critical. Well, I guess I put my money where my mouth is this year - even though it has been required more of my limited free time.So far we have had about 4 practices. Despite some headaches trying to figure out which kids were actually going to play on my team, and going through a few roster moves, I think our team is finally set. We have 10 kids, plus one more that will be added when he returns from South Carolina after his school year ends, and maybe one more TBD. The kids I have been working with so far have been great! Our assistant coaches/dads by committee has been helpful too. I think we have some good potential. It's going to be especially fun this year because at the 13-14 age group, pretty much everything goes - bunting, lead-offs, stealing, etc. - just like real baseball (I will probably even work in some basic coaching signs).
About three more weeks of practice before the regular season begins. More to blog about later.